[ExI] de Waal

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 19:19:47 UTC 2018

I think about religion being evolutionary useful in getting larger
groups of people to co-operate.  If you have 10,000 or more people, all
unified, following the same survival goals,  including taking resources
and life? from "heathens", you will easily dominate any other smaller
group of not us (i.e. heathens).  And the idea of a guy at the top of
the hierarchy, directly linking to "God", and everyone else getting
access to god, through him - you get some big hierarchies.  Hierarchies
can never survive, when unforced from above, as most non religious
people seem to think about religious leaders.  The only reason the tops
of religious have powers, is because their followers give it to them.
The leader may be very tolerant to outside views and such, but the rank
and file will hate, excommunicate, and destroy anyone questioning the
top authority.  I'm sure this is because of our breading.  People that
do that, naturally, able to form larger hierarchies, and better well
defining who they are, and who the heathens are, the more survivable the
large co-orating group.

As far as beliefs in "immortal souls", spirits, ghosts and such, that is
fairly easy to understand, given the way our brain represents knowledge
of what we are, in our environment.  We have knowledge of the room
around us, represented in our head.  At the center of the knowledge of
the room, is knowledge of our body. When we stub out toe, the pain isn't
in the toe, it is in our knowledge of the toe, in our brain.  When your
foot is amputated, you still have knowledge of that foot, phantom limb
pain and so on - hence people's beliefs in "spiritual body parts" that
do not get amputated when your foot is.

At the top of that knowledge of your body, is the knowledge of our
head.  And inside your knowledge of your head, is your knowledge of you,
as if you were a "spirit", "ghost" or whatever you want to think of that
knowledge of you as being.  This knowledge is usually represented as a
separate entity, reside within the head, and peering out the eyes, as if
they were holes in the head, containing your spirit.  Your knowledge of
your head, represents something in reality (your real head).  But your
knowledge of your spirit/ghost, has no referent in reality.  And when
you have an out of body experience, this is knowledge of your spirit,
leaving your knowledge of your body, all in your head.

Scientifically, we can observe/discover this knowledge of our spirit,
with no referent in reality.

Brent Allsop