[ExI] musk's ride

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jan 4 16:12:21 UTC 2018

From: extropy-chat [mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
Subject: Re: [ExI] musk's ride

>…I hope it works but one thing that makes me nervous is the first stage has 27 small engines, that's 27 ways things can go wrong. The Apollo moon rocket had 5 large engines, the USSR tried to make something comparable with their N1-L3 rocket but the first stage had 30 small engines instead of 5 large ones and it blew up every time they

​tried​ to launch it… John K Clark

Ja I saw that.  On the other hand… we don’t make those big Apollo engines anymore, but the Russians are still making those smaller engines.  Good chance Musk is buying a lot of their rocket parts and subsystems.  Yanks do control systems really well, but the commies do the big rocketry stuff better than we do, damn em.

spike

27 first-stage engines