[ExI] software versus human rights?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Jul 8 20:04:45 UTC 2018

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
Adrian Tymes
Sent: Sunday, July 8, 2018 12:51 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] software versus human rights?

>...Depends on the variables used.  If it's just "where are the crimes",
then the lawsuit will likely fail: this is data that's legit in the purview
of law enforcement, and isn't inherently racist even if it would result in
more people of color going to jail.

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 11:20 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:
>>... I see in the paper today where the police has used software to home in

> on the places in their area where the most crimes are committed (there
> are more variables than that).
>
> They are being sued.  The argument is that if the police focus on the
> areas where most crime occurs, one of which is where black gangs live,
> then the imbalance in arresting minorities will stay the same or even
worsen.

> Is this the same as giving Arabs a closer look, say at airports,
> because the
> 9/11 terrorists were Arab?  I don't think so.
>
> bill w

Another way to look at it: the constabulary hangs around the gangy
neighborhoods where the crime is happening, apprehends, convicts and
incarcerates the bad element, leaving the good element to enjoy differential
reproduction, resulting in a safer better neighborhood.

Problem solved.