[ExI] The tools humanity will need for living in the year 1 trillion

Spike Jones spike at rainier66.com
Sun Jul 15 20:38:02 UTC 2018

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of BillK
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2018 12:42 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Subject: Re: [ExI] The tools humanity will need for living in the year 1 trillion

On 15 July 2018 at 20:20, Spike Jones  wrote:

> This one is more compelling because we tend to think of protons and
> neutrons being pulled apart as requiring energy, but even that isn’t
> clear to me if it happened because space expanded them apart.

The expansion of space doesn't apply to gravitationally bound objects.
The Andromeda galaxy which is gravitationally bound to the Milky Way is falling towards us.

BillK

BillK!  Where the heck have ya been, me lad?

Protons stick to neutrons by the strong force, not gravitation.  I didn't realize Andromeda and the satellite galaxies wouldn't get Big Ripped from us, thanks for that.  I suppose eventually they would.  Oh I need to study up on this.