[ExI] evolution and crazy thinking

Spike Jones spike at rainier66.com
Tue Jul 17 19:51:02 UTC 2018

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace

>…Evolution did a great job but it has a long way to go.  I hope it gets the chance.  'Survival of the fittest' does not seem to describe the current state of world affairs in the evolutionary sense.

​Are we, in fact, not losing the unfit?  bill w​

This observation about survival of the fittest should have been stated survival of the best adapted.

If we are discussing humans, fitness in the traditional sense is nearly irrelevant.  The unfit prosper in the right environment, such as our technically advanced world.  People who are dependent on modern medical technology for instance are likely to reside near a hospital, which implies a big city, where reproductive opportunities are relatively plentiful.  In that sense, the unfit are better adapted to our world than the fittest.