[ExI] evolution and crazy thinking

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 22:39:39 UTC 2018

Now imagine an agent that can adapt to novelty. Initially it is 'wrong' in
some sense. Later it becomes 'right' in the sense of predictive.

I am not claiming being wrong as a necessary first step. I am claiming that
being wrong is a natural result of an encounter with the unknown. By
definition.
Colin

The agent that adapts to novelty is intelligence (in fact, some define
intelligence this way).  I studied mental retardation in grad school, and
for the borderline MR it was often the case that they could learn as well
as the average Ss, but when called on to transfer (generalize) that
knowledge to a similar problem, they performed more poorly than the average
Ss.  (When they were prompted to use the prior skill they did so, but a
third problem stumped them.  They did not learn to generalize - for
whatever reason - they had to be prompted each time.  Thus they will do
well in a work situation when closely supervised and prompted - btw - we
could make far more use of the MR than we do now and enable some to live an
independent existence (or for the worse off, semi-independent,like a
halfway house)  and use far less tax money).

So it was not IQ per se that solved the problem, but the recognition that
similar features were found in the new problem compared to the older one.
An attention skill, if you will.  The more similar the new problem to the
old one, the more successful the old skill was at working the new one.

I do not understand your second paragraph above.  "By definition"  What is
being defined?  Failure is not a forgone conclusion, as you said yourself.

Now if by 'unknown' you mean that there are no features to something that
resembles older situations, then there is no opportunity to generalize, and
failure is a certainty, barring luck.

bill w