[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 177, Issue 9

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 21:12:57 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 11:59 AM,  <spike at rainier66.com>> wrote:

snip

> We are seeing warfare transition dramatically, but there is an important point to my scenario: if a major offensive military subsystem like this is developed, it has all the characteristics which will require for it to be created by the military.  They can take a select group of highly-focused people, remove them to an isolated place for security reasons, take care of their mundane needs, control access, do all the stuff necessary to develop a system completely dependent on secrecy to be effective.

I don't find this to be plausible.  You can't isolate people who are
trying to work at the leading edge of technology.  Not now anyway.  If
you are going to let a developer access files on GetHub, what's the
point of isolation?

Even if you are as good as the CIA was, there will always be someone
like Snowden.

And what would you have this isolated group do?  Programs to churn out
effective propaganda?  Or maybe a weapon system to collapse the
vacuum?

> Einstein once commented "I don't know what weapons will be used in World War 3, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."  I disagree.  I view the cold war between capitalism and communism as being World War 3, which pretty much just dwindled to nothing in the 1980s, and we are living in World War 4 now.

I don't see at the worldwide scale why, after WWII, we should have had
wars.  The per capita income rose most of the time over the last 60
years in both "religious" blocks.  That keeps people out of "war
mode."

Keith