[ExI] To Boldly Transcend All Limits: The Visionary Legacy of Stephen Hawking

Giulio Prisco giulio at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 14:51:30 UTC 2018

Here is my transhumanist homage to Stephen Hawking, just published in
Motherboard.

To Boldly Transcend All Limits: The Visionary Legacy of Stephen Hawking
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/j5by87/stephen-hawking-on-ai-space-and-the-future

Stephen Hawking was one of the leading theoretical physicists and
cosmologists of our time. He was never awarded a Nobel Prize because
his research on the quantum physics and thermodynamics of black holes
was too far ahead of the possibility of experimental verification.

It’s worth noting, however, that “Hawking radiation” from artificial
black hole analogues has been recently observed in the laboratory, and
it seems plausible that further research on artificial black holes
could have won Hawking a Nobel Prize for his pioneering theoretical
studies. We’ll never know, because the Nobel Prize is only awarded to
living scientists.

Hawking died today, at 76.

To me and to many other futurists, Hawking was—is—a hero who
represents the indomable human spirit. In the face of a cruel disease
that confined him to a wheelchair for most of his adult life,
progressively depriving him of his abilities, Hawking didn’t give up.
He married twice, and fathered three children. Unable to write and
speak, he used futuristic high-tech interface devices to communicate.

Hawking was not only a top scientist, but also a great science writer
and a visionary thinker interested in space exploration and
colonization, Artificial Intelligence (AI), and the long-term future
of our species. In his philosophical speculations, as in his personal
life, Hawking acknowledged no limits.

“I believe what makes us unique is transcending our limits,” said
Hawking in 2016, on the 55th anniversary of Yuri Gagarin’s pioneering
space flight, announcing the Breakthrough Starshot initiative to send
the first robotic probe to the stars. “Nature pins us to the ground.
But I just flew to America. Nature forbids me from speaking. But here
I am.”

Launched by Russian billionaire Yuri Milner, Breakthrough Starshot is
a $100 million program to develop technologies for small robotic
nanoprobes and light beams with the power to accelerate the probes to
20 percent of the speed of light—fast enough to reach the nearest star
system within a generation. Hawking was on the Board of Breakthrough
Starshot with Milner and Facebook's CEO Mark Zuckerberg.

“The limit that confronts us now is the great void between us and the
stars,” added Hawking. “But now we can transcend it. With light beams,
lightsails and the lightest spacecraft ever built, we can launch a
mission to Alpha Centauri within a generation. Today, we commit to
this next great leap into the cosmos. Because we are human. And our
nature is to fly.”

Speaking at a 2017 science festival, Hawking called for re-igniting
and accelerating the space program to "elevate humanity" and give
people a sense of purpose. "I am convinced that humans need to leave
Earth," he said. “We need to rekindle the excitement of the early days
of space travel in the sixties. If humanity is to continue for another
million years, our future lies in boldly going where no one else has
gone before.”

Writing on The Independent with Stuart Russell, Max Tegmark, and Nobel
laureate Frank Wilczek, Hawking observed that AI research is advancing
fast and could produce machines smarter than humans. “[There] are no
fundamental limits to what can be achieved,” the scientists stated.
“[There] is no physical law precluding particles from being organised
in ways that perform even more advanced computations than the
arrangements of particles in human brains.”

The scientists cautioned against reckless development of AI
technology, which would pose important risks such as autonomous
weapons and technological unemployment. In the long term, we might not
be able to control advanced AIs at all.

Perhaps, Hawking thought, humanity will be eventually replaced by
thinking machines. “These machines would be a new form of life, based
on mechanical and electronic components, rather than macromolecules,”
he said. “They could eventually replace DNA based life, just as DNA
may have replaced an earlier form of life.”

But there’s another, more appealing possibility: Our descendants could
find ways to copy human minds to advanced computers, a still
hypothetical process known as mind uploading, and merge with thinking
machines. “It's theoretically possible to copy the brain onto a
computer and so provide a form of life after death,” said Hawking.
"However, this is way beyond our present capabilities."

It’s worth noting that an important advance announced yesterday, the
day before Hawking’s death, could allow people alive today to preserve
their brain until mind uploading capabilities are developed. Perhaps
some readers will achieve Hawking’s dream, and go to the stars as
electronic minds.