[ExI] Stephen Hawking is dead

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 15:59:00 UTC 2018

On Mar 14, 2018 11:21, "Dan TheBookMan" <danust2012 at gmail.com> wrote:

On Mar 14, 2018, at 8:02 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 9:42 AM, Dan TheBookMan <danust2012 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mar 14, 2018, at 7:15 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 9:06 AM, Will Steinberg <steinberg.will at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> A damn shame.
>>

> ​It's shameful to die?  bill w​
>

> https://www.phrasemix.com/phrases/its-a-shame-something-happened
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

​Now I need to explain 'tongue in cheek'?   bill w​

That works better if you put something like a smiley after it.

Honestly I prefer no textual signifiers for online facetiousness.  What is
lost in clarity is gained in mutual respect for participants' ability to
parse humor.

I suppose, though, that emoticons and emoji are merely punctuation, and if
I follow that slippery slope I might condemn exclamation points and
question marks as well.  But humor is a special case to me--the derivative
of humor with respect to explanatory text is a large and negative value.

Still not sure why Bill is talking about his tongue though.