[ExI] Stephen Hawking is dead

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 18:12:38 UTC 2018

On Mar 14, 2018, at 10:51 AM, William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 10:59 AM, Will Steinberg <steinberg.will at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> ​Now I need to explain 'tongue in cheek'?   bill w​
>>
>> That works better if you put something like a smiley after it.​dan
>
> ​Is there anything worse than explaining your jokes?  I agree with Will
>
> bill w​
>>>>
>> Honestly I prefer no textual signifiers for online facetiousness.  What is lost in clarity is gained in mutual respect for participants' ability to parse humor.
>>
>> I suppose, though, that emoticons and emoji are merely punctuation, and if I follow that slippery slope I might condemn exclamation points and question marks as well.  But humor is a special case to me--the derivative of humor with respect to explanatory text is a large and negative value.
>>
>> Still not sure why Bill is talking about his tongue though.

It’s sometimes hard to tell when someone is actually making a joke.... It’s a cliche too about jokes not needing explanation. I don’t adhere to that view. Sometimes it works.... But in this case it wasn’t about the joke needing to be explained. It was about whether you meant your statement literally (in the older usage) or not. (It’s not a big deal either. Don’t take this to mean I’m getting upset.;)

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my latest Kindle book "Sand Trap":
http://mybook.to/SandTrap