[ExI] Tabby's star, computronium size

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 00:08:50 UTC 2018

John Clark <johnkclark at gmail.com> wrote:

snip

>but they
can say the dust particles are larger than 10^-6 meters and smaller than
2*10^-3 meters. That's pretty small, I can't see any reason a ET engineer
would make a computronium node that small.

I think the long ago speculations were that size or smaller.

> And how does the computronium
theory explain the observations better than the dust theory does? Are
Saturn's rings made of computronium too? Even Tabetha Boyajian after whom
Tabby's Star is named thinks its just dust, probably because she believes
in Occam's razor .

Dust has problems.  It should radiate a lot of low grad heat which
they have not seen.

I agree that a non-alien explanation is a lot more likely, in fact,
it's my opinion that there are none within our light cone.  But given
that this list long ago identified one endpoint of technology that
would look like dust, finding some does not rule out aliens--yet.

I have not worked out the numbers (would they be short of energy or
matter?) but I can see that orbiting computronium might have been
derived from a disassembled planet.  That would give the long dips we
see in the Kepler data.

John wrote:

> ?Why?

Speed of light limited communication delays.  That's already a major
engineering concern here on earth.

Keith