[ExI] hoverbikes

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 19:57:04 UTC 2018

On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 at 19:36, spike wrote:

> The attitude control is automated.  Humans aren’t fast enough and flawless enough for that task.
>
> The original version of this had ducted fans, but I see this version has whirling blades right out there clawing at the wind (and anything else available which needs chopping off (hey cool, flying hedge trimmer!))
>
> The thing that would spook me is the obvious challenges if the control system did get confused and you saw you were going to crash.  Ducted fans add weight but there is a reason to go that route.  OK then, four choices, which blade would you choose to whack your damn head off?

You have to wait for the production version.  :)

Quote:
Hoversurf’s chief operating officer, Joseph Segura-Conn, said the
vehicle has numerous safety features, including a computer-controlled
system for stabilizing the craft and laser scanners for detecting and
avoiding obstacles. To help ensure the safety of the rider and of
anyone who might get in the way, the company plans to offer extensive
training to customers — and future models will be carried aloft not by
propellers but by enclosed fans.