[ExI] Science or Science

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 02:37:22 UTC 2018

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 3:17 PM William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>If you're playing chess with a brilliant chess AI you won't be able to
>> predict what its next move will be, if you could you'd be as good at chess
>> at it is and you're not,  but after it made its move you can easily see
>> that it wasn't random and was in fact pretty damn smart. You can't predict
>> what Stephen King's next novel will be but when it come out and you read
>> it you can be pretty sure it was not made by a monkey banging on a
>> keyboard.
>>

> *> I disagree strongly with all of that.  What you can predict with a
> great deal of accuracy is the moves the AI won't make, as they would be
> stupid and self-defeating. *

Intelligent or non-intelligent you can always predict something a system
won't do but that's a long way from predicting what it will do. And
besides, the the AI's chess move could look stupid to you at first, in fact
it probably would and that's why you wouldn't make it yourself, only after
several more moves do you understand that it wasn't a stupid move at all,
it was brilliant.

John K Clark