[ExI] Transparent Society problem HELP - LAWYER

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 19:58:47 UTC 2018

Don't we have a lawyer around?  Several things:  people have the right not
to be harassed, sexually or otherwise.  It could be considered verbal
assault.  A person is not free to say just anything, the old standard being
yelling FIRE in a movie theater.  So free speech is not entirely free.  You
and your sign can be removed as a public nuisance, distracting traffic, etc.

But outside those things, no, no right not to be offended, when it is
always the case that the person can escape seeing or hearing whatever it is
they are offended by. If you don't like the speaker, don't go to the
speech.  Unfortunately for us liberals, the ultra liberal crowd makes big
noises about offending.

In fact, I just bought a book co-authored by Jonathan Haidt, called The
Coddling of the American Mind, on just this subject.

The problem is that our elhi education is already way too politically
correct, such as omitting details about George Washington and others that
puts them in a bad light.  People don't want children to know those things
and so textbook companies are forced to have authors write only good
stuff.  Texas is a really bad example of censorship.

Two more things:  1 - free speech incl. the right to dissent, and 2 - a
society oriented towards individual effort and not emphasizing not sticking
out from the crowd (a la Far East societies).  These two things appear to
me to be the reasons we are the innovators on this planet and not some
countries where they are just as smart as we are but lack those two things.

bill w