[ExI] young people having less sex

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 01:15:15 UTC 2018

That’s more responding to the subject line — which is not mine originally, so I accept no blame for it;). This seems an ambiguous case because less sex could mean fewer sex acts or less time (in seconds or as a percentage) expended on sex. A person could have two hours of continuous sex a day, but consider that one sex act (how to draw the line?) or have a half hour of sex a day, but have it broken into three ten minute sex acts. Who has had more sex in these cases?

In this context, “sex” seems a mass known, which is why you and I had to fall back on “sex act” to be clear, no?

And I think the real test is whether people understand the construction. Yes, “fewer sex acts” is standard English, but using less instead of fewer rarely confuses readers or listeners, does it?

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst