[ExI] books

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 20:09:18 UTC 2018

Don’t think I could beat Bill W on the sheer number of books read, but three books I’ve read this year that could be interest to Extropians are:

1. The Tangled Tree: A Radical New History of Life by David Quammen — really beats to death (as I suspect writers of science books are wont to do) the notion of horizontal gene transfer.

2. The Order of Time by Carlo Rovelli — dissects the idea of time from different perspectives and doesn’t shortchange or cheapen physics in the process. (That said, this is for the lay reader. So consider it a starting point. But all the books I’m mentioning are for lay readers.;)

3. How We Talk: The Inner Workings of Conversation by N. J. Enfield — instead of looking at language from the viewpoint of grammar or words, considers the dynamics of conversations including how pauses and the like work (and how they seem to not vary much across languages and cultures).

Regards,

Dan
   Sample my Kindle books at:
http://author.to/DanUst