[ExI] Maximum Jailbreak, and the legacy of Stephen Hawking

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 02:15:09 UTC 2018

Giulio Prisco <giulio at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not against habitats in free space ;-) Let's do both and let1000
flowers bloom. But the psychological impact of lunar and planetary
outpost is higher (to me at least).

If you want people in space, you might want to consider the practical
details about how hard it is.  People need gravity.  Moon gravity
might be enough or Mars, but the question is how much more are you
willing to pay to live iiin their gravity?  That's in comparison to a
rotating environment that will give you whatever g you want.  I would
have to make many assumptions to calculate the actual difference in
cost, but would you agree that trying to live deep in a gravity field
is going to cost much more than a rotating space colony?

> Ultimately, space is not for biological humans, but for our
post-biological mind children. But we need to develop human presence
in space now, for the mental health of our species. Wee need to keep
the space dream alive, otherwise we'll stagnate and never become
posthumans. Therefore, let's not wait for posthuman mind children, but
let's go to space now. The Moon, Mars, L5, let's do all of that.

I used to think that people would get off the planet in substantial
numbers before the singularity.  But the path for humans into space is
long drawn out.  I have come around to thinking that humans will
follow robots into space and have little influence over early off
planet development.

Not happy to say that;

Keith