[ExI] From Arms Race to Joint Venture

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sat Oct 27 20:41:00 UTC 2018

>     /> they are the product of natural (i.e. random) processes/
>

> A key part of Evolution is natural selection and that is not random.
>
> John K Clark

Yes, that was poorly phrased. I meant that randomness is involved, not
that all natural processes are random. Evolution (and biology in
general) makes an excellent job of harnessing random events in a
directed way. It is very inefficient and wasteful, though (a necessary
part of the process, so far) and I do think we will be able improve on
it hugely. If we don't wipe ourselves out first, we'll merge biology and
technology together until they eventually become indistinguishable. I
find this idea hugely inspiring. It baffles me that so many people bang
on about how marvellously perfect evolved systems are, when it seems so
obvious that they're nothing of the kind.

If anyone is tempted to think that biology is some kind of pinnacle of
perfection and efficiency, I point out how it's full of laughable
kludges that are locked-in by the evolutionary process. From Okazaki
fragments to the recurrent laryngeal nerve, evolution produces
blundering solutions that are only just good enough to survive, and I
think we will be able to do a *lot* better at some point in the future.

--
Ben Zaiboc