[ExI] recommended book

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 16:50:18 UTC 2018

I never liked any history course.  My first book that contained a lot of
history that I really strongly liked was Connections, which all of you
know, I am sure.

This book, Paper, by Mark Kurlansky, is very similar in that many other
inventions are brought in along the way.  Very few parts are boring, very
rare for me and history.  He has several other best-selling books, like
Salt, and Cod.  Very pleased to have run across him.

In it are some facts that few know:  inventor of the internal combustion
engine, who built one that powered a boat?  Brothers Niepce in the 1790s.
Other instances of the gradual rather than sudden invention of something
validates the 'it takes a village' theory of genius Ballard proposed.

bill w