[ExI] Gene Drive and morality

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Sep 25 14:27:33 UTC 2018

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of John Clark

Subject: [ExI] Gene Drive and morality

https://www.nature.com/articles/nbt.4245

>… It would be illegal to release that mosquito into the wild… self styled guardians of morality are already calling for a moratorium on the use of this … If that's morality then I'm proud to be immoral.

 >…John K Clark

If any lab anywhere finds this, there is no way to stop it using legal means.  Anyone working at that lab could come to the same decision you (and I) did, then secretly release them.  There would be no way to prove whodunnit and even if you somehow got a confession, I doubt anything serious would come of it.  They will get loose.

Let’s hope for the best, with confidence in this particular case.