[ExI] First Picture of a Black Hole!

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 16:04:07 UTC 2019

They said they're going to try to get a picture of Sagittarius A Star next
but It's not entirely clear to me why they chose M87 first. I'm just
guessing but I do know that the luminosity of a supermassive Black Hole has
more to do with the amount of gas outside that is falling into it than the
mass of the hole, and the important thing as far as pictures are concerned
is not the luminosity but the resolution. Another factor may be that
because we're in the Galaxy we have to look through it to see the center
and that means looking through lots more obscuring dust than to see the
Black Hole in M87.

John K Clark