[ExI] First Picture of a Black Hole!

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Apr 12 12:51:49 UTC 2019

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2019 5:43 AM
To: 'Tomaz Kristan' <protokol2020 at gmail.com>; 'ExI chat list' <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: spike at rainier66.com
Subject: RE: [ExI] First Picture of a Black Hole!

From: Tomaz Kristan <protokol2020 at gmail.com <mailto:protokol2020 at gmail.com> >

>…What can be even cooler than the accretion disk around a black hole?

>…No accretion disk around a black hole. Instead some stars behind that black hole. Their images pretty much gravity lensed by the black hole. That's why I insist on to see Sagittarius.

Ja, because the accretion disk blocks the faint gravity lensed images of the stuff behind it.

I am struggling to understand why an accretion disk looks like this.  The whole thing is baffling, defying my intuition violently.  For starters, I don’t see why so much of the material is approximately in one plane.  My best guess is that it is mostly from one star, then as other material in other orbit planes comes down, it collides with material primarily in that very visible plane.

Oh this is so cool.  I am a total data addict: I have had that one monster hit, now I want another one.

spike

Oh boy, retract, I realized what I am seeing and answered my own question: the image isn’t what I was thinking.  It occurred to me that there is material in various orbits.  However because of lensing, the light from the accretion disk will always appear circular from every point of view everywhere.  Oh I have so much to learn.