[ExI] Total Surveillance may be necessary to save humanity

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 22:37:58 UTC 2019

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 at 22:53, Bill Hibbard <hibbard at wisc.edu> wrote:

> Bostrom propose a surveillance infrastructure to
> protect us from dangers such as easily accessible
> bioweapons. However, such an infrastructure, using
> AI connected via the Internet to the physical
> devices of our daily lives including implanted
> electronics, presents a strong temptation of social
> control to leaders.
>
> This is most evident in China. I think they have
> already passed the tipping point toward a future
> when every citizen will agree with the government on
> every issue. Total control.
>
> In the US and other countries, leaders and even
> ordinary citizens are calling for the use of AI to
> detect and control dangerous speech and "fake news."
>
> While I do fear easily accessible bioweapons, social
> surveillance and control is the "black ball" I fear
> most, because it is so tempting to the people with
> the most power.
>
> The future of humanity may be a world partitioned
> into AI data domains (largely coinciding with the
> partition into nations), with leaders in each
> partition exercising total surveillance and control
> via AI and the Internet. I think the best resistance
> to this future is complete transparency of AI and
> associated infrastructure.

Quote:
The new paper from Bostrom introduces the concept of a vulnerable
world : roughly, one in which there is some level of technological
development at which civilization almost certainly gets devastated by
default.
--------

It is controlling the advanced technology that is the problem. Whether
misused by rogue states or groups or individuals.
It is difficult to see how this control can be achieved in a world
where states are seeking to gain decisive advantage and others are
resisting.
The AI 'Hive-mind' civilisation might be the only survivable route.

BillK