[ExI] Time travel in simulations (Adrian Tymes)

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 05:44:10 UTC 2019

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 11:46 AM Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> That requires that the traveling individual(s) be aware they are in a
> simulation, or at least be aware of the checkpoints.

I presume the individuals in a constructed simulation would know where
they were.  Especially if they uploaded from the base (meat) reality.
(And assuming we are the base reality.)

> Those for whom loading the checkpoints includes erasing all knowledge and
> memory gained since the checkpoint, essentially cease to have existed
> between when the checkpoint is saved and when it is loaded.  For them,
> there is no travel: there is the one whose experiences are erased entirely
> (without themselves having gone back to the checkpoint), and the one who
> continues from the checkpoint (and has no way to know there was another of
> themselves).

I mentioned "new hardware" so it is not required to erase local
history forward of a checkpoint.  In fact, parallel threads can
continue to run.

> > Limits, you can?t go back before the first checkpoint.

Thinking about this, not certain.  Is the simulation computer deterministic?

Keith