[ExI] Time travel in simulations

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 16:46:12 UTC 2019

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 4:38 AM Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 10:48 PM Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 11:46 AM Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > That requires that the traveling individual(s) be aware they are in a
> > > simulation, or at least be aware of the checkpoints.
> >
> > I presume the individuals in a constructed simulation would know where
> > they were.  Especially if they uploaded from the base (meat) reality.
> > (And assuming we are the base reality.)
>
> I do not recall that being the situation under discussion.  If you adjust a
> simulation that you know is a simulation, then to you that isn't time
> travel, but just adjusting a simulation.

The original post stipulated no real time travel.  But from a
subjective viewpoint of a person in a checkpointed simulation, it
looks like time travel.

You are correct though.  An alternate way to look at it would be
adjusting a simulation.

Drexler and I have written about speeding up minds by a million fold.
The same hardware could simulate a million parallel simulations.

 Keith