[ExI] philosophy poll

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 14:43:00 UTC 2019

On Aug 22, 2019, at 7:02 AM, <spike at rainier66.com> <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace
> Subject: Re: [ExI] philosophy poll
>

> >…My own favorite is Hume.  And Adam Smith, relatively unknown as a philosopher.
>
> bill w
>

> Excellent choice.  Adam Smith had economics figured out way back in the 1770s.  Had Karl Marx been a reader of English and had Adam Smith’s 1776 book Wealth of Nations, the horror of communism would never had needed to infect the planet.

Ah, but Marx did read Adam Smith And was familiar with the ideas of other Classical economists like David Ricardo. It’s not unfair to say that Marx, in many ways, was working from a Classical basis in his economics, especially his latching onto the labor theory of value, seeing economics purely in terms of material forces, and ignoring the role of entrepreneurship. Marx did his studying and writing mostly before the Marginalist Revolution in economics, so it’s not surprising that he started from a Classicsl background. (As an economist, he never grew beyond that background, IMO; and therein lies the problem with his economics.)

See also:

http://www.cadtm.org/Adam-Smith-is-closer-to-Karl-Marx

Regards,

Dan