[ExI] test case dorian

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Aug 30 13:20:59 UTC 2019

Theory has it that the continental shelf extending way out to the east of
the Florida Atlantic coast protects it from the most destructive hurricanes.
If you go on Google Maps under Cape Canaveral and hit satellite view, it
shows the shallow water going way out, which tends to weaken hurricanes
before they hit land (the water is plenty warm but there is less of it.)

With Dorian, we get a possible demonstration.  When I was growing up about
20 miles due west of Cape Canaveral, we had hurricanes but they seldom
amounted to much: lots of rain, fences blown down, aluminum awnings gone
missing, that sorta thing.