[ExI] Humans are a uniquely dangerous species

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 07:06:15 UTC 2019

Rafal:

Is slavery a technology?  It is interesting to try and think of at what
point the first slaves emerged.  Power hierarchies already exist among
animals but when did the subjugation of another species or kin group
begin?  I think that subjugation is a pre-technological alternative to
wiping out another species entirely.  A kind of teleological within-species
parasitism.

Maybe replace 'technological species' with 'teleological species'.  All
species capable of planning should be able to subjugate.

Sometimes I wonder if it is possible that there was a massive
within-species subjugation ending in rebellion, long ago.  It seems likely
to me, for some reason.