[ExI] Frank Jackson's brilliant color scientist Mary

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 18:08:33 UTC 2019

Very nice poem Spike thanks for jumping in.  I so enjoyed the commentary on
being interested in this, over politics, and all that. Our local newspaper
has only two sections, today.  Politics on in the small front section, and
a second larger sports section.  Nothing else.  Also, last night at a
neighborhood Christmas party, I asked why the US needs more than 10
aircraft carriers (they have 11).  But that just opened a flood gate of
fear mongering, worshipping how things used to be (evidently everything
today is worn out) and a bunch of fear about China (as if they are going to
invade the US and militarily force us to be communist.  (LOL, they were
saying all this fear mongering about china, while at the same time talking
about how we can’t even force puny Afghanistan to adopt our form of
government.)  It is often very draining to be in Utah.  You guys make it
possible, even enjoyable to survive.

Now back to the good stuff.  we must remember to distinguish between color
and knowledge of color (Requires a different term to not be qualia blind so
“colorness”).  I wasn’t going to do this as it is still broken and not
finished, but part of the a video we are creating on this topic showing how
knowledge of color, or colorness, can be inverted from color is now here
<https://canonizer.com/videos/consciousness/>.  But at least the play
button works.  This shows how “perception” can be inverted at any point in
the long perception chain, resulting in inverted qualia
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_spectrum>.

This shows how all objectively perceived information, even all poetry, is
abstracted away from any physical qualities.  The only way to know what a
word like “redness” means, physically, is to experience it
directly/subjectively, so you can build your own internal dictionary
definition for the word redness.  Again, glutamate has both a color
property and a colorness property.  Since it reflects white light, its
color is “white”.  But when we are directly aware of it reacting in a
synapse, we are directly aware of its colorness property which is redness.
We have abstract descriptions (even poetry?) of how glutamate reacts in a
synapse, but nothing, yet to tell us the colorness those poetic
descriptions are describing.

John made this very falsifiable (consciousness is not approachable via
science <https://canonizer.com/topic/88-Approachable-Via-Science/2>)
statement:

“Except for their own qualia EVERYBODY is qualia blind even poets, the
handicap is not limited to physicists and neuroscientists. And *that will
never change*.”

Again, once we have neural ponytails
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ru9fw7szQw>, that computationally bind
like the corpus callosum, we will direct experience all of the experiences,
not just half.  With that we will directly experience whether or not
someone else’s redness is like our greenness or not, just as surely as we
know that physical redness is the same physical redness in both the left
and right hemispheres of our brain.  This will be as undeniable as “I
think, therefor I am.” Direct experience cannot be mistaken/inverted like
“perception” can.

On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 8:47 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <