[ExI] The Thirty Meter Telescope is now officially dead

ddraig@pobox.com ddraig at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 07:35:53 UTC 2019

On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 at 23:46, John Clark via extropy-chat <

> On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 9:30 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <
>
> *> You’re setting aside, again, as if science is a card that trumps all
>> other concerns.*
>>

> It sure as hell trumps the concern that an invisible man on a mountain
> will be annoyed by a telescope!

This is such a weird discussion.  I think everyone here agrees that having
the telescope up would be a good thing, but you are completely ignoring the
single most important factor in anything humans do, anywhere, at any time:
the politics of the situation.

*> You’re setting aside, again, as if science is a card that trumps all
>> other concerns.*
>>

> It sure as hell trumps the concern that an invisible man on a mountain
> will be annoyed by a telescope!

No, it obviously does NOT trump it, otherwise the telescope would be built,
wouldn't it?

Short of using force (police/military) the only way you're going to get
people to do something, if they have any control over the process, is to
make them want the thing to happen.  The hawaiians are pissed off (I have
no idea what they are pissed off about due to utter lack of interest - it
does not matter what they are pissed off about), so they said no.  Appeals
to logic and science and etc etc don't work when emotion is involved.  And
here we are.

Dwayne
--
  ddraig at pobox.com irc.bluesphereweb.com #dna
         ...r.e.t.u.r.n....t.o....t.h.e....s.o.u.r.c.e...