[ExI] The Thirty Meter Telescope is now officially dead

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 17:23:56 UTC 2019

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 5:06 AM John Clark via extropy-chat <

> On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 6:16 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <
>
> You make excellent points.  Why can't existing telescopes be upgraded?
>> Why start from scratch in another location?
>>

>> Wouldn't things be much clearer with a telescope in space?
>>

> The James Webb telescope is far smaller than the Thirty Meter Telescope,
> and as of today Webb cost 10 billion dollars, about 15 times its original
> cost estimate, it was supposed to be launched in 2007 and it's still
> sitting on the ground. Every year they say Webb will be launched next year,
> now they say 2021. I'll believe it when I see it.
>
> Talk of putting the Thirty Meter Telescope into space is pure fantasy, it
> just ain't gonna happen.

So just because a bloated NASA bureaucracy, gated by contractors with a
history of sopping up government money to prevent it from going to projects
that might actually succeed, has massive financial and temporal budget
overruns, you believe it is not possible to succeed where those limiting
factors are not present?