[ExI] Mental Phenomena

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 20:30:36 UTC 2019

Hi Ben,

Thanks for jumping in on this!!

I was completely agreeing with everything you were saying.  I get so upset
at most theories of consciousness that have exactly the problem you pointed
out with:

“It seems to be a general rule of nature that large numbers of complex,
higher-level things are built from much smaller numbers of simpler,
lower-level things.”

One of many examples is “pan-psychic” ideas that claim everything has
“proto” consciousness.  What the heck is a "proto" consciousness?  Does a
proto-consciousness have the same resolution and color depth as our visual
consciousness?

But then you revealed your qualia blindness in your last paragraph by
saying:

“the concept of 'elemental red' is sheer nonsense”.

“Red” is a label we give to something that reflects or emits red light.  It
is elemental “redness” that we are talking about.  Redness is a label for a
very different set of elemental physics than “red”.  One is a color
property that initiates perceptions.  Colorness is the different property
of the final physics that result from perception.  Colorness is the
qualities of the stuff we directly experience from which our conscious
knowledge is composed.

Ben, let me ask you this.  What do you think your knowledge of a strawberry
is composed of?

I believe the supporters of “Representational Qualia Theory
<https://canonizer.com/topic/88-Representational-Qualia/6>” are saying
exactly what you are saying by defining consciousness (love, free will,
intentionality…)  to be “Composite computationally bound elemental physical
qualities in the brain like redness and greenness.”

On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 3:51 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <