[ExI] you asked for it -here it is

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 00:16:47 UTC 2019

Hi Will,

You asked: “*Present...where?*”

*Thank you for asking!*  We’re creating a video to help explain all this
and we just completed a crude rendering of the section that answers just
this question here <https://canonizer.com/videos/consciousness/>.

There is no narration yet, so I’ll try to walk you through it.

This will pause in the “Flashing Pixel” section in a loop with a single
flashing red/green pixel.

This flashing pixel basically proves there must be something physical in
our brain, which can physically change for each pixel of conscious
knowledge we are aware of.  (The “inverted perception” section proves
redness is not related to red, and in fact may be simply inverted anywhere
along the chain of perception.).

You’ll need to press the continue button to get out of the loop.

The simplest theory is that each of the cortical columns in the visual
cortex is representing a pixel of knowledge in our visual space, and so
far, all evidence seems to support this theory.  Steven Lehar recommends
thinking of it as an actual diorama of 3D knowledge laid out in the visual
cortex composed of voxels (3D pixels) spread out in the visual cortex.

In the “scrunched cortex” section, we split things into 2 spaces.  The one
on the left represents the virtual reality represented, or how things seem
to us.  The one on the right (hypothetically) represents the actual layout
of the neurons representing each of these pixels of knowledge, physically
laid out in the visual cortex.  There is much higher resolution in the
center field of vision, so this requires things to be scrunched up in some
way to make room for additional pixel neurons in the center of our field of
vision.  Of course, this scrunching is consistent with the folds in the
cortex.

<https://drive.google.com/file/d/16f0my54ba7m7SliUDkGdvcxdfOJmfZiI/view?usp=sharing>
[image: image.png]

As you can see in the above model of the primary visual cortex, there is of
course the ”Longitudinal fissure” separating the two halves of the diorama
which are physically split between the two hemispheres of the brain.  There
is also the “Transverse occipital sulcus” splitting the visual cortex in
half again from top to bottom (looks like a frown), splitting the diorama
into 4 sections.  This cross of valleys centered on our field of vision
makes room for the additional pixels at the center of vision.

You can see the seeds of the strawberry, as they move around these cortical
column pixels, into and out of these sulci as they increase and decrease in
resolution.

Does that answer your question? ;)