[ExI] What bioenhancements should we do first?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 22:02:08 UTC 2019

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 1:18 PM William Flynn Wallace
<foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 1:20 PM Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> And?  This is mostly irrelevant to what I was replying to.
>
> I did not mean to annoy you.  Just wanted to say that there were things in the very near future that could greatly enhance our lives.  It also touched on a topic I thought about posting:  just what enhancements should we do first?

The way to ask that is with a new subject, and phrasing it as a
separate discussion (not saying "but" which implies you're still
talking about the prior thing), like so.  ;)

> And the answer will come back:  a better and much larger memory, so I didn't post it.  And we have no means to do that now and maybe not for a long time.

There are ways to interface neurons to electronics now.  Have been for
about a couple decades.  But...how do we use that to wire electronics
into the brain's memory, such that we could then take advantage of
Moore's Law to install ever-greater memory capability into human
beings?

Or is that truly the best such enhancement to pursue first?  Might a
more real-time interface - some sixth sense (any data that a computer
might have and a human would benefit from intimate awareness of),
wired into the sensory cortices - be easier to develop first, proving
out the technologies needed in a way that can benefit humanity faster?