[ExI] The unlimited size of qubits.

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Thu Jan 3 20:58:45 UTC 2019

Mike Dougherty wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 1, 2019, 10:31 AM Stuart LaForge <avant at sollegro.com wrote:

>> So quantum information in the form of a single qubit spread across
>> space-time is the essence of what Einstein called spooky action at a
>> distance. So is that information delocalized by some kind of
>> quantum-sized wormhole? Or is it just a global hidden-variable in a
>> Matrix-like simulation?

> I intuit that there is a dependence on information in another dimension

By dimension here, do you mean an extra dimension like an orthogonal axis
added to 3+1 space-time to give an exclusive channel for quantum
information to be shared between distant events? Or do you mean a separate
space entirely like a platonic realm of bits and wave functions?

> or a relation to information that can only be transformed by certain
> rules,  which effectively externalizes context into the syntax and
> grammar so the qubit itself is encoding information only when that
> context is already understood.

Shannon information exists whether one understands the context or not. The
raw byte code of your favorite movie in some video format is still
information, even if you don't have the right video codec to play the
movie. Semantics and meaning are relative but information itself seems to
be absolute and independent of ones ability to understand it or even just
see it. A closed book still contains information even if it is in a
language you don't understand.

> I just read an article on octonions, which
> has a lot of words I don't know how to use but which gives new avenues
> for thinking.

I am impressed as octanions are anything but easy. But if you can develop
your understanding of them, you will well-poised to develop intuitions
about low dimensional Hilbert spaces and single particle wave functions.
So keep at it and the words will come to you.

Stuart LaForge