[ExI] I see pitchforks.

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 17:31:23 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 11:44 AM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> > the point is we need a wealth tax. Or do you think this acceleration of
>> the wealth gap can continue forever without a hiccup?
>

> > Ja, in a sense.  If there is a hiccup, it isn’t one we would notice.

The same way nobody noticed the French Revolution? I would't bet my life on
it.

> *>The super-wealthy gather in their places (Palo Alto is an example) and
> compete against each other.  *

If the wealth gap acceleration continues for much longer the next big Palo
Alto startup will be a guillotine factory.

*> Meanwhile the rest of us go about our business the usual way.*

I just learned today that millions of people can not continue in the usual
way because Trump is STILL trying to destroy their healthcare. I'm not
saying everybody should have the same about of wealth, I'm not saying
anything even close to that, but if one person is building his second yacht
that's larger than most cruse ships while millions die because they can't
afford basic healthcare then there is going to be trouble.

Obamacare in Jeopardy as Court Hears Case Backed by Trump
<https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/09/health/obamacare-appeals-court.html>

Do you really expect millions of people will be happy to die quietly so
they won't give their hyper rich overlords any inconvenience?

> >…Come on Spike, do you really think that is an inescapable objection to
>> the idea of a wealth tax? Just adjust the point where the tax kicks in with
>> the inflation rate…
>

> *> The way they did with the income tax?*

It's true, not indexing the tax rates was a major mistake. I suppose when
much of the tax laws were written deflation seemed more likely than
inflation.

 John K Clark