[ExI] effective altruism

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Mon Jul 15 20:14:49 UTC 2019

Well, my remark was supposed to be rather tongue-in-cheek, but if we are
going to be serious about it, my main objection is that MS seems to have
been, and still is, the ringleader of the whole attitude that software
companies have today, an attitude that is not inevitable, and that I
think is destructive and holds us back massively, and is so pervasive
that many people have trouble even conceiving that things could be
different.

It seems to be the natural order that when you buy (or, I should say
'pay for', because you can't usually actually /buy/ it) a piece of
software, you don't own it, you hardly have any rights at all regarding
it, you're not, in practice, allowed to understand how it works or
modify it, or even to try to (often that's actually illegal!), and you
are prevented from even understanding what you're agreeing to when you
hand your money over, because the license terms are deliberately very
long and obscure.

It seems inevitable that any software that you use is subject to
arbitrary changes by the vendor, forced upgrades, often at inconvenient
times, and sudden disappearance of features regardless of whether you
find them useful or not. And of course, you can't just do what you wish
with it. It's a bit like buying a bike that you're not allowed to change
the gears or brakes on, can't even fit a different bell if you want, and
the options for adjusting the handlebars and saddle are severely
restricted to pre-set choices. And don't even think of changing the
tyres! On top of this, it will stop working unless you take it in for
regular services when it may be returned a different colour, with
different lights, etc., etc.

I think it's odd that nobody would tolerate it if, when you take your
car to be serviced, it was returned with the pedals swapped round, the
handbrake removed altogether and your radio hidden away somewhere
inaccessible, with brand new controls installed that don't do what you
want anymore, but yet people accept this level of interference routinely
when it comes to software. Not to mention the snooping. Of course,
people /will/ accept it when their cars start reporting how they are
used to various unknown parties, because they will have been conditioned
to accept this kind of invasion of privacy because that's how their
computers behave, and cars are increasingly turning into computers on
wheels.

I'm not claiming that this culture is exclusively Microsoft's doing, but
they certainly were enthusiastic early leaders in establishing it. And
things don't have to be this way. There are software systems that don't
treat the user as an enemy, that don't mean "against the user" when they
use the word "Security", and that allow the user to own the software,
modify it, control it, and get the use from it that /they/ want, rather
than the use that the vendor wants to impose on them.

As a transhumanist and extropian, I'm always in favour of individual
choice, with the only restriction being that you don't harm others by
your choices. All the big software companies these days are explicitly
opposed to that principle. They want the only choice on the table to be
/their/ choice, and to hell with anyone who is harmed or disadvantaged
in any way by it.

I'm not against change, even random change (which is often what you seem
to get with many software products), but I am against imposing that
change on the users without asking them, and without allowing any
possibility of opting out of it (short of stopping using the software
altogether, which just isn't an option for many users). Just look at the
Microsoft support forums and you'll find scores, of not hundreds, of
user complaints and requests and pleas, about features that have been
imposed on them that Microsoft refuse to even listen to, let alone do
anything about.

It didn't have to be this way. There are ways of making money without
treating your customers with such utter contempt.

OK, that's my rant over. Back to normal programming now (pun intended).

Ben Zaiboc