[ExI] Superhuman Poker

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 11:42:48 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 8:17 PM William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> the program can't tell us why it's so good at what it does for the same
>> reason a human genius can't tell us why he's so good at what he does,
>> neither of them knows.
>

> > *It's right there in the code, isn't it?*

Yes It's right there in the code, but as a practical matter that fact won't
help us much. Your RSA  *public* encryption key that you use every time you
buy something on Amazon contains all the information needed to find your
*private* encryption key, but I still can't steal money from you because
the sun will turn into a red giant long before my computer finishes making
all the calculations needed to actually extract that information from your
public key. In a similar way it would probably be easier (although still
astronomically difficult) to figure out on our own how to play Poker at a
superhuman level than it would be to try to make sense out of the vast
amount of incredibly tangled spaghetti code in the computer's memory.

*> Otherwise the AIs have all the secrets!  *

The AI didn't know why it was so good at poker just as Einstein didn't know
why he was so smart, he just knew he was.

 John K Clark