[ExI] population and religion

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 17:54:40 UTC 2019

Yes, wonderful talk.  Most of this is in the Rational Optimist - just
recently read.

A trend I see which he just implied:  babies are not longer seen
exclusively as assets, to replace dead children, to work farms and take
care of their parents.  They are in part liabilities, costly little smelly
things that you will put through college.

He did not address the questions of religion in so far as taking up the
abortion question or the Catholic Church's stand against birth control in
any form.  I have to note that another trend is the Catholics increasingly
ignoring their church's stance on these issues.

He also did not address the issue of replacement.  It was clear from his
chart that much of the world is producing babies at less than the
replacement rate, which I think is 2.1 (and will go down with improvements
in medicine and genetics).

bill w

Just amazing computer graphics - extremely helpful to his talk.

bill w