[ExI] stealth singularity

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 20:07:07 UTC 2019

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 at 20:36, <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> Ja, Stuart, I am compelled to counter-suggest: not necessarily.  We know
> that an old lame technology from the 1970s (Eliza) does kinda sorta mimic a
> human.  It was intentionally meant to parody psychologists, but it is an
> entertaining toy even today.  Eliza is not intelligent at all.
>
> An AI-like script can be made using lookup tables, which can be derived from
> the conversations of families with AD patients, and create a workable
> mechanical companion.  With sufficiently impaired patients, even a
> television show, such as the Waltons, can serve as a much-needed and
> much-appreciated proxy for human companionship.
>
> General intelligence would be good, but not necessary, for creating a
> mechanical companion.  I would like to see humanity not wait around for
> general AI (which might be a long ways off) when current tech could make
> something for the impaired elderly which would be better than nothing.
>
> This notion goes to noble goals beyond merely making buttloads of money
> (assuming there are goals more noble than that.)  We could help a lot of
> elderly people ease their pain of the declining years.  And simultaneously
> achieve the other of course.
>
> spike

Very much agree, Spike.
There is a requirement for a wide range of robot 'companions' for
humans, depending upon their level of disability and preferences.
We already have robot seals and puppies that comfort the severely
disabled. Some also remind about taking medicine and call for help in
emergencies. More advanced robots will provide nursing and care
services. Even healthy humans might like AI companions for
housekeeping, entertainment, sex, etc.

It is not a great leap to see a future where humans are lovingly cared
for by AI intelligences throughout their life, from childhood to old
age. While advanced AI progresses far beyond human capabilities into
realms unknown.

BillK