[ExI] ai emotions

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 19:04:46 UTC 2019

It goes back farther than that.

The IKEA ad with the lamp, having been thrown out, sitting on the curb in
the rain, camera angle carefully chosen to make it look like it's staring
forlornly up through the window to its former place in the warm happy room
where its replacement now shines, to increasingly despondent music.

Then the spokesman steps into the shot and chides the audience. "Some of
you are feeling sorry for this lamp. That's because you are crazy. It has
no feelings, and the new one is much better."

People can be made to anthropomorphize anything, and the more complex its
behaviour, the easier it is.