[ExI] A real engineering effort

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Wed Jun 26 02:22:06 UTC 2019

Quoting Keith Henson:

> PS.  I don't like this situation.  But I don't at this point know of
> any other way to build power satellites where they are not banged up
> by junk as they are being moved into place.  Ideas on this topic are
> welcome.

In regards to space junk in general, I would suggest occasionally
launching a giant gold or platinum foil balloon shaped into a giant
Bucky ball by carbon fiber or inflated by low pressure high density
gas like sulfur hexafluoride into orbit just below GEO and let its
orbit slowly decay. It should slowly deorbit from collisions with
space junk and air molecules. The ductility of gold or platinum should
be sufficient to trap most space debris, even at high velocity,
soaking it up like a sponge and  consolidating it all in one
convenient package for deorbit. One could then track or control the
deorbit an be able to recycle the gold or platinum accordingly.
Obviously some experimentation would be needed to find the ideal
thickness of the gold or platinum foil.

Stuart LaForge