[ExI] ai emotions

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 20:28:03 UTC 2019

The only problem with the definition of consciousness as needing external
inputs is that there are stages of sleep where the person thinks he is
awake - i.e. cannot tell if he is asleep or awake.  If he can't tell one
from the other, is it the same thing? I spent a night at a clinic which was
trying to tell if I had sleep apnea.  My experience was that I did not
sleep at all - was conscious all the time.  All my thought was rational.
But they told me that I did spend some time in light sleep (the very stage
where you might not be able to tell the difference).  So I would call that
at least partial consciousness-  and thus change that definition.  Then
there is the odd problem of, while being asleep, taking external inputs and
including them in your dreams, such as a fire truck siren being experienced
as part of the dream.  bill w