[ExI] big rip in education

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 16:57:00 UTC 2019

 Anyone anywhere on the planet can get an excellent technical education, at
home.

spike

My point of view:  do you remember (maybe I am too old) those report cards
we got in grammar school, where the teacher made some remarks about our
in-class behavior or study habits?  I wonder if that still goes on.  POint
is:  at every level we need reports of what a person can and cannot do, and
that requires better and better psychological tests (which go far beyond
the typical person's thinking about tests, which is to say that they assume
that clinical things are being measured.

What do we see coming out of college?  Degrees a person has.  That's it.
No measure of competence in dealing with others.  No measure of weaknesses
and strengths in their field.  No measure of character.  Of course there
are tests that industry uses to try to measure these things.  (for Spike -
a home-schooled student has no impartial judge to rate their kids on these
things - do you think they maybe are biased?

Improvement in tests and other ratings at all levels would help every
teacher and every student, not to mention those looking to hire the
students.  At present, these tests are minimally used or even absent, and
none of them is perfect, but they do have some minimal validity or industry
would fire their industrial psychologists.

Industry still uses personal interviews, which have repeatedly been shown
to be lousy at predicting job success (Dunning-Kruger effect - bosses are
sure they can tell all sorts of things about a job candidate which studies
show that few can.)

Want to improve education?  Improve ratings and tests.  Put a psychologist
or counselor in every school whose job it is to develop ways of measuring
the students.

bill w