[ExI] fermi question alive and well

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 15:09:00 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 10:20 AM Dylan Distasio <interzone at gmail.com> wrote:

*> I fear the answer is that the probability of intelligent life evolving
> and getting to the space exploration level more than once in overlapping
> time frames is exceedingly low,*

I agree.

> > *which I hope is not the case.*

I don't agree. If we were to find a civilization at approximately our level
of technological development it would be strong evidence that such
civilizations are common but they never get any further; so we must be very
near to a catastrophic planet wide extinction event of some sort.  Although
not as clear cut I would not consider even the discovery of microbes on
Mars to be good news.

John K Clark