[ExI] fermi question alive and well

Dylan Distasio interzone at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 21:41:09 UTC 2019

I find the most simple explanation for the Fermi paradox is that the odds
of intelligent life evolving and being able to reach a technological level
that starts at the industrial revolution and reaches the level we are at
now are infinitesimally small despite the vastness of potentially habitable
planets in the observable universe, let alone develops the abilities to be
classified as a Type 2 civilization.

The chain of events that got humanity to where we are today strikes me as
extremely unlikely based on the evidence (or lack thereof) around ETs.

Granted, we don't know the odds of even "simple" life evolving, but even if
prokaryotic (or equivalent) life is common throughout the universe, the
various leaps required to get to intelligence and later civilization where
knowledge accelerates before extinction are mind boggling as far as I'm
concerned.