[ExI] fermi question alive and well

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sun Mar 31 07:27:59 UTC 2019

John Clark wrote:

>  We could [spot] a Kardashev Type 2 civilization anywhere in the
> galaxy and a type 3 anywhere in the observable universe.

Could we spot a Type 2 civilization on the other side of the galactic
bulge with all the intervening dust and gas? How about one just on the
other side of Barnard 68?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnard_68

And Type 3 civilizations are not possible without FTL. How do you hold
a galactic civilization together when it takes 70,000 years to get
news at the speed of light from the frontier? Think about how
unmanageable the Roman Empire became when the communication lag with
the frontier was months instead of tens of millennia. And these are
supposed to be machines that live at faster subjective speeds than we
do? Are super-smart machine intelligences superhumanly patient as well?

Stuart LaForge