[ExI] practice

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu May 9 14:12:56 UTC 2019

Adrian pointed out that one doesn't just do the same thing over and over,
but changes so that improvement can occur.  Fine.

But musicians I know do do the same thing over and over: scales and
arpeggios, for instance. They know the notes; they know the finger
movements.  And yet they keep doing the same thing.

A violinist friend of mine quoted this: "If I don't practice for a day, I
know it.  If I don't practice for two days, you'll know it.  If I don't
practice for three days, everyone will know it."

There is nothing about memory in my brain that can explain this.  Athletes
do the same thing over and over, and if they miss a few days of practice,
they question whether they'll be sharp for the performance.  And this
applies to athletes who have been doing it for many years.

I do know that every time you pull a memory of any kind out and experience
it, you put it back stronger than it was, which brings up the question of
just how strong can it be and how fast memory deteriorates.

I dunno.  Go figure.

bill w