[ExI] dead weight

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed May 15 17:21:36 UTC 2019

I have no way of discussing a math program with you, but what Khan has
seems great to me as you describe it.  But do you think, say, philosophy
can be taught without teachers?

The ideal teaching of that and many other courses is face to face with the
teacher - one on one.  That way the teacher can assess the student's level
and start there, bringing in just the right philosopher for support of the
ideas or contrast.  This is the way I taught Personality.  If all I wanted
to do was for the students to regurgitate each theory's ideas, a teacher
would not have been necessary.  This is far from my idea of quality
teaching and learning.

Please know that in no way am I arguing with what Khan is doing or trying
to do.  I am in full support. I just want to add that there are some things
that for the nonce, cannot be taught that way.  Through high school for
many subjects?  Good.  But maybe not in assessing the importance of Darwin
or Shelley.

I suppose in a way I am reacting against the loss of the profession of
teachers.  Well, not loss per se, but changes that take the live teacher
out of the equation.  I have picked cotton and know that there are much
better ways.  But ways of teaching some things that leave out live teachers
is abhorrent to me even if it doesn't affect me at all.

bill w