[ExI] dead weight

John Clark johnkclark at gmail.com
Thu May 16 02:18:51 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 10:18 AM William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> it is only a matter of time before a machine can do your job, whatever it
> is, better than you can. john clark
>
> This assumes that AIs will become as creative and original as people.

If you propose an unusual solution to a problem that turns out to work
extreamly well but I can't understand why it works and even you can't say
why the idea popped into into your head then we'd say you were being
creative; but that's just the situation with neural nets that teach
themselves in just a few hours how to play Chess and Go at a superhuman
level. They make moves that at first seem crazy but turn out to be
of transcendental brilliance, and the men who built it can not explain why
it made the move it did and just like a creative person the neural net cant
explain how it works either.

> *> But if you are right then there are no jobs for anyone.*

Exactly, and things are moving so fast we'd better start taking seriously
ideas we'd all (including me) consider utterly wacky just 10 years ago,
like universal basic income.

John K Clark